The Academy Way is the WAY we do school. We are a unique, child-centered and holistic approach to educating children through a network of year-round 3rd – 12th grade private schools, to include various brick and mortar state campuses (ie, The Academy NJ and The Academy GA) and a global virtual school, The Academy Virtual. We specialize in educating children with dyslexia, ADD/ADHD, specific learning disabilities, and those who are struggling readers and non-traditional learners.
It is our belief that every child has a GREATNESS to be discovered and cultivated. We focus on helping children understand that they each have a unique life path leading to their individual GREATNESS.
The Academy Way follows these Five Paths:
- Path 1) a structured literacy approach,
- Path 2) interactive and multi-sensory teaching,
- Path 3) real-life learning,
- Path 4) an entrepreneurship experience, and
- Path 5) a socially-emotionally nurturing environment.
The Academy WAY provides a research-proven structured-literacy program that addresses our students’ literacy challenges, engages them in teaching approaches that embraces and enhances their learning styles, provides valuable educational and real-world experiences through an entrepreneurship program, and involves them in intentional environments throughout their school day that creates a safe and supportive social-emotional environment.
The Academy Way is to focus our time on the strengths of our students, not their weaknesses. We help our children understand who they are, what their strengths are, and how to minimize their weaknesses. This is what we believe will prove of most value to them in real-life. Our schools embrace movement, love of the outdoors, encourages discussion, exploration and creation, and teaches kids that failures are amazing opportunities to learn, grow and accomplish something remarkable.
The following “Top 10” are reinforced with our students at every possible opportunity:
- 1. I believe I have a GREATNESS!
- 2. I will be on time.
- 3. I will be honest with myself and others.
- 4. I will ask for help and offer help to others.
- 5. I will dream BIG!
- 6. I will make mistakes and learn from them.
- 7. I will fail and know that my failures will lead to success.
- 8. I will surround myself with positive and supportive people.
- 9. I will be respectful, kind, generous and thoughtful to others.
- 10. I will READ like a champion!
We believe . . .
- 1. A child’s ability to read well is our top priority.
- 2. Structured Literacy helps children become amazing readers.
- 3. In going deep, not wide.
- 4. Movement, the Sun and unstructured outside time are keys to a child’s happiness.
- 5. Every child has a unique life path to be identified and cultivated.
- 6. School should be awesome, fun, and awesomely fun!
- 7. In teaching children to understand and respect others, not necessarily agree.
- 8. In building and cultivating relationships with each other.
- 9. Students should be comfortable while they learn.
- 10. Entrepreneurial skills are invaluable life-skills.
- 11. Progress is more important than perfection.
- 12. In low student:teacher ratios in all of our academic learning environments.
- 13. A student’s time after school should be spent with friends and family.
- 14. The social, emotional and physical health and safety of our students is never compromised.
- 15. Everything a child learns in our school should have real-life application.